[TR] woodruff key is loose

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Nov 25 12:00:51 MST 2017

> Any advice here?  I've considered:
>
> *	Staking the round part of the key to expand it a bit.
> *	'gluing' the key in the pump shaft using threadlocker or sticky
> gasket adhesive.
> *	Buying a 3/32 key and filing it down (groan).

My first thought is to return the pulley as not fitting the application.  It
should have a 1/8" slot for a standard ANSI 1/8" by 5/8" woodruff key. (ANSI
# 405 minimum hub slot .1260").

But it should be easy enough to buy a 1/8" key and file it down a bit to fit
the pulley slot.  Or even open up the pulley slot a bit to suit a 1/8" key
(which is what I did on my tractor last summer).

I guess I'm also a bit confused about your statement that the pulley pushes
the key out of the shaft slot.  The slot should be semi-circular, so the key
is securely located along the length of the shaft.  Even with a relatively
loose fit in the shaft, you should be able to tip the end of the key down a
bit and tap the pulley into place over it, without it being able to move
out.  Unless the supplied key is also the wrong diameter, I guess.

Finally, the pulley should be (must be) a very snug fit on the shaft.  If
not, it will soon work loose (key or no) and snap the threaded end off.  I
was lucky, the electric fan housing bounced the pulley away from the
radiator without damaging the fan or radiator.  I suspect the damage would
have been much worse with the stock fan!

Since all the force is in the same direction (unlike the crankshaft and
camshaft), I think a slightly loose key should be OK.

-- Randall