[TR] starter question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 14 21:17:58 MST 2017

> Except for the starter.  I can start the car from the rubber button on the
> back of the firewall solenoid but not from the dash button.

A bit of background : When you push the rubber button, you are physically
moving the plunger that works the contacts.  So that bypasses the
electromagnet (coil) inside the solenoid.

Connect a 12v test lamp (or DMM on 20vDC scale) to the small side terminal
on the solenoid, and the solenoid body).  Position it where you can see it
from the driver's seat; then try to crank the engine with the dash button.

If the light comes on (or meter shows roughly 12v), the solenoid is bad.  If
not, the problem is likely outside the solenoid.

The solenoid ground is probably the next thing I would check (mostly because
it's easier than working under the dash).  Leave one probe connected to the
small terminal, but connect the other to a good ground (maybe the 'E'
terminal on the control box).  If it lights now, the solenoid body isn't
grounded.

If not, then you can look at the wiring to the pushbutton, and the button
switch itself.  The switch should get power directly from the ignition
switch next to it (hot only when the ignition is on).

-- Randall