[TR] Tr3 rear pinion seal

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Nov 5 03:47:52 MST 2017

Remove 4 bolts for driveshaft flange, tie driveshaft up out of the way. Remove the cotter pin from the big nut.

Drill a piece of heavy bar stock to match the holes across the short side, then bolt it to the diff flange. Best to put the holes near one side, to leave room to access the big nut. Use the bar to hold the flange while you remove the nut with a socket (preferably 6 point) and breaker bar.

Pull or tap the flange off. I've never needed to use a puller, but its possible.

Pry the seal out. I bought a seal puller from HF but it broke on the first yank, so I used a big screwdriver instead.

Smear a little grease on the lips of the new seal and tap it into place.

Clean and polish the sealing surface of the flange. If you can't polish away the mark where the old seal rode, consider installing a Speedi-sleeve.

Smear the surface with grease and slide the flange back into place. Put the bar back on, and torque to the value in the workshop manual. (Something like 120 ftlb, but check the book.) Insert a new cotter pin and bend it over. You may need to turn the nut just a bit more to line up the slot.

Use new nuts when replacing the driveshaft. I found that even new Nylocs would not always hold, so I now use 'Stover' nuts from MMC.

HTH
Randall

-- Randall