[TR] flywheel bolts to reuse or renew

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 06:01:47 MDT 2017

> I would not re-use old flywheel bolts.  I enjoy having my right leg
> functional.

In the last 45 years, I have removed and replaced hundreds of
flywheels, and never replaced a single bolt.  Never knew of one to
fail.

Having said that, I did put new ones in my TR6 last year.  A set of
four ARP bolts was pretty cheap - $20 or $25?.  More a matter of not
wanting to take that damned transmission tunnel out again if anything
went wrong, than fear for my body parts.  Even if the bolts fail, the
input shaft should retain the flywheel.

Having said that, I have seen /one/ flywheel explode on a street car.
a 1979 VW Rabbit, low miles and driven by a new driver.  She said she
was trying to crank it after going through the car wash.  I didn't
believe her story, and I don't know how VW resolved it.  To me it
looked like a flawed part that was over-reved.  The pieces - and there
were a lot of them - broke the bell housing, but did not come through
the firewall.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.