[TR] Wash, wax, and clay bar

Keith Stewart keithstewart at bell.net
Sat May 27 15:34:07 MDT 2017

If it is original paint and has been neglected, I would use a mild (to medium, to heavy) cut polishing compound after washing to get rid of the oxidized paint. If you do this, start with the mildest cutting compound that will work and only move to heavier cutting compounds if needed. If the paint has been neglected you will be amazed at how much oxidized paint will be removed. Work carefully (either by machine or hand) as you are removing paint as you do this (a milder version of wet sanding after a paint job). I like Meguiars but other polishing compounds will work just as well. Use lots of polishing pads if you are removing a great deal of material. Remove with microfibrer cloths. If shopping for microfiber cloths, there is a world of difference between the plush cloths detailing companies sell and say the pack you might buy at Costco.

Next, I would clay bar or if you want a simpler approach to claying, use something like Nanoskin's AutoScrub Towel that gives the features of claying but if you drop it, you just wash the towel whereas with clay, you throw it out - or you BETTER throw it out!

Then apply a high quality wax and remove with a plush microfiber cloth. Again, I use Meguiars, but there are other excellent brands as well (I have several brands in my detailing cabinet. You can apply and remove either with a Dual Action Polisher or by hand with pads and microfiber cloths.

In between detailing sessions, you can keep the finish bright and shiny with a quick detailing product. I use Nanoskin's Nano Shock which is a quick detailer and sealant. Just spritz it on and remove with a plush microfiber cloth.

Many of these products are readily available at http://www.autogeek.net/ and you can see their Master Detailer on Velocity's "Competition Ready" as he preps many different cars.

Then, there is the chrome and wheels 😊.

I can add a lot more so if you have questions, just pm me.

Keith

Keith Stewart
keithstewart at bell.net