[TR] vehicle offers while driving a TR

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Wed May 24 08:11:31 MDT 2017

On 5/24/2017 6:17 AM, Matt wrote:
> I figured there would be some interesting tales.

The closest I came to having anything offered was as a consolation
prize.  My very first car was a `63 Spit, and I had put it up on blocks
one winter and stored the tires in a closet in my apartment, thinking I
would do some work it needed in the spring.  In the interregnum, the
police were embarking on an abandoned car clean-up campaign, and they'd
identified it as abandoned and they'd traced the car back to me.  Um,
how, exactly, did you trace ownership? "Oh, we checked the license
plates."  Then you realize it's still currently registered, right?  "Uh,
yeah."  That means it's still insured, right?  "Um, yeah."  So, if it's
still registered and insured and it's on property I rent, it's not
abandoned, right?  The police lieutenant said, "ah, I see what you
mean.  I'll take it off the list."

A few weeks later, I wake up one Saturday morning to the apartment
buzzer going nuts.  One of my more spaced-out neighbors is jabbering
about the army taking my car.  Sure enough, I go out to the parking lot
and someone has taken the car and even the blocks it was sitting on.
Eventually, I track down the car.  The National Guard had brought in a
flatbed with a crane, wrapped a chain around its middle, hoisted it onto
the flatbed, and then dumped it on its nose in the junkyard.  So, with
it wasp-waisted and frame bent and no shop space, there was no way I
could salvage it.

When I called the police and demanded to know what happened, they
couldn't explain it.  Said the car wasn't on their list.  A few weeks
later, the police lieutenant I'd talked to originally called, and
somewhat sheepishly admitted that he had taken the car off the police
list, but that he'd gone into the hospital before calling the National
Guard to have them take it off _their_ list.  So, my Spit, which I'd
bought in Hawaii when I was stationed there, had driven cross-country,
and for which I'd had great plans, was perhaps the only car in history
to be totalled by a double hernia.

The cop really did feel bad about it, and a week or so later called me
to say that, maybe, he'd found another car for me.  The owner didn't
want it and they were going to pick it up for him in the clean-up
campaign.  It was a really ratty-tatty `58 MGA with a seized engine.  I
knew that without a shop and the tools necessary, and going to school,
besides, I was never going to be able to make it roadworthy, and had to
pass on it.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....