[TR] How often should I change oil in triumph that rarely does muchmileage?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue May 2 17:39:28 MDT 2017

> Well, I guess I'm curious about any distinctions between dinosaur oil and
> fully synthetic oils. Recommended oil changes for BMW is now somewhere in
> the 17000 range, isn't it, if using synthetic? And how do the syn
> properties react to moisture/contaminant retention?

I dunno, but AFAIK, all the synthetic oil makers still say to follow the
vehicle manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals.

Long time ago, Mobil 1 said otherwise and even advertised extended oil
change intervals as balancing the higher cost of the oil.  Then someone did
a test where they took a bunch of brand new taxi cabs, filled them with
Mobil 1, and used the extended change intervals.  The test was stopped
earlier than planned, "due to excessive oil consumption".  IIRC Mobil
changed their recommendation not long after that.

-- Randall