[TR] recommendations on putting in new gearbox cross shaft bushes

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 26 16:36:51 MDT 2017

> I need to put in some new bushes. I got the old ones out by destroying
> them while punching them out.
> I had hoped a 3/4 copper pipe could be used on the end, but it it slightly
> too thick.  I could cut a slot down it with demel and thin it down a
> little ad use that

I turned a simple mandrel from a piece of mild steel rod from Home Depot.
The tip is just small enough to fit snugly inside the bushing, the larger
part just a bit smaller than the outside of the bushing.

That was before I got a lathe, so I tapped the piece of steel for a headless
bolt and held that in the drill press chuck while I filed down the steel to
suit.  But it could be done without turning it, as it's not essential the
surfaces are round.  Just even more tedious.

> Can I use two side by side?

Yes.

> Are there wider ones available and from where?

The wide brass (or bronze) ones are for a TR3 or early TR4.  TRF has them as
P/N 36998.  According to their website, that is what they supply for the TR6
as well.

FWIW, after installing the bushings, I drilled and tapped the housing for a
grease zerk, so they can be lubed from time to time.  The Stag doesn't
really have room for zerks on the shaft like the TR3 uses, so I put them on
the housing instead.
https://goo.gl/q88JBr

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild