[TR] Overdrive Solenoids aftermarket

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 9 20:42:50 MST 2017

> So...I had the overdrive tranny rebuilt winter before last, and darned if
> it hasn't been blowing fuses continually since.

What fuse are you using?  The original OD circuit on a TR3A had no fuses to
blow.

> What are people's experience with aftermarket solenoids?

I bought a pair of them on eBay almost 20 years ago.  First one lasted about
10 years, the second one seems to still be working fine after about 3 years.

Never did blow the 8 amp slo-blo fuse I added, just wouldn't engage the OD.
The contacts under the end cover appeared to be burned until they wouldn't
make good enough contact to carry the 20 amps or so it takes for the
solenoid to pull in.  The bad connection had caused enough heat to partially
melt things and spoil the temper of the contact arm.

I tried adding a diode to help the contacts live longer, but in retrospect I
wired it wrong so it probably won't help.

Randall