[TR] Knocking noise

Jim Vassiliadis jimstr4 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 13:56:55 MDT 2017

My gearbox is in bits and we are replacing the broken gears with a complete
gear train form a later box.
Although the bearings all look like they are in excellent condition we are
going to replace all of them including the overdrive.
Should I replace the overdrive cone clutch irrespective of wear?
I'm trying to source the bearings locally to try and keep the costs down,
but can't get RHP bearings only KSM branded bearings.
Having done alot of the work on my car myself I've saved lots but have still
managed to spend a heap of money on it, with more body work to adjust gaps
etc, to come.
I've been doing my own spraying in my dusty garage to keep costs down, I'd
love to get someone else to spray it but spray painting in New Zealand is
very pricey.
Hence I'm trying to keep the unplanned gearbox rebuild costs down.
I understand that some suppliers have a cheap brand as well as the more
expensive better quality ones.
Has anyone used The Roadster factories gearbox bearings?
Is there a source of good bearings at a lower price somewhere.

Jim's TR4