[TR] upgraded "red" rotor

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 22 15:47:01 MDT 2017

Hello,

Had a mishap on the way to a car hop. The 3 just died. So I pulled over
and checked to see if the fuel pump quit. No. So I tried spark at the
points. OK. Seemed to be some carbon at the rotor contact point in the
center. But I put the cap back on and it started and ran fine. Headed
home without incident.

I decided to change to a new red rotor that I got from Advanced and it
wouldnt start. No spark. So I removed the rotor and noticed that the
little nub was broken off. I figured I did it when I put it in so I put
another one in, since I got 2 at the time, and was very careful to do it
correctly. Same result, no spark and the nub was broken off. I then
compared the new rotor with the old one and noticed the new one is about
1/8" longer to the contact point to the rotor. I figure it is hitting
the contact points and just stopping thus shearing off the nub. So, I
went in to my parts and found a new Lucas rotor (black) and it was an
exact match of the one I had in when the car died. Installed and engine
fired right up as normal.

Has anyone else used these red rotors? I have one in the 6 and it works
fine.

Looking at the TRF glove box catelog, all they have is the "red" rotor.
If it is the same as the ones I just ruined where do I go for one that
is an exact match? Always like to have a spare or 2 in the trunk.

Thanks,

Bob