[TR] TR3A steering box R/R - NEED BEARING

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 16:17:54 MDT 2017

Do the bearings strictly *need* to be caged?  The Rimmers page shows a
pretty extensive looking cage, but in, for example, bicycles, the cage
isn't required -- it's more for convenience in assembly and maintenance.  I
don't have the innards of a steering box at hand, but if there are
traditional bearing races I'd be tempted to rebuild with loose bearings
(possibly using an extra bearing or two).

Mark Macy & Co. note they stock the bearings for rebuilds done in their
shop:
http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/steering_box.htm