[TR] LEDs - a mystery

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Jun 10 20:32:47 MDT 2017

Tom, most DVM's with a diode check function are designed to check a single diode.  Your LED bulbs are a string of LED's in series and the DVM will not put out enough voltage to bias them all on.  Some of the cheaper DVM's will not even put out enough voltage to bias a single LED (I have one at work and I have to get the Fluke if I want to check an LED).

An old trick I use to trouble shoot shorts is to replace the fuse with a headlight, if the circuit is OK the bulb will remain off (or glow dimly) and the circuit will work.  If there is a short to ground the bulb will glow at full brightness.  If you have some spare bulb holders you can make an LED bulb tester using a standard filament bulb as a current limiting device in place of the headlight.  If the bulbs work in the fixture and not in the car check the connections.  surface corrosion may be the culprit.

I guess you already know about LED's being polarity sensitive.

Dave Massey