[TR] Anyone on this list converted a triumph to an EV using their original triumph gearbox?

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Fri Jun 2 21:00:29 MDT 2017

On 6/2/2017 10:53 AM, Sujit Roy wrote:
> I met a guy who converted an MGBGT to an EV but he used a Nissan gearbox.

I've only seen a couple of them.  One is a Spitfire in CA that doesn't
use a gearbox (used IGBTs to control polyphase power to the motor), and
a Spitfire in the car museum in Nashville that did use the Spit
transmission, with an adapter to mount the DC motor.

Just to be clear about this, the original drivetrain is likely only
necessary if you intend to use a DC motor to drive the thing, and while
using DC is pretty simple, these days, it's like saying, "well, I _like_
1909 technology."  High-power switching technology today has enabled
polyphase AC, and the chief attraction of that is that a polyphase AC
motor can achieve max torque at _zero_ rpm, thus eliminating most of the
drive train, and enabling a higher efficiency than is possible in simple
DC systems.

This technology has already been fairly well-developed because it's been
used in diesel-electric trains for a while.  M'self, I'd start looking
at what technology is currently available before worrying about
transmissions.  You may discover that's a waste of time.  In fact, it's
common enough today that it may be cheaper to buy a written-off
EV/hybrid wreck from the junkyard and adapt the pieces to whatever
project you're contemplating than to buy pieces to fit around the
traditional car and drivetrain.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....