[TR] manual gearbox oil Hypoid 75W

Frank Magnusson fmags at cox.net
Thu Jun 1 18:13:12 MDT 2017

Hi Sujit,  the ROM specifies 75W for a complete refill, whihc is a straight weight oil.  The oils you quoted are multi viscosity oils; they act like one weight at cold temps and the other weight at hot temps.  I use Castrol 80W90 in my stag OD gearbox, whihc is also quoted in the ROM but for top up only.

You might try a local oil distibutor in your local area and see what straight weight oils you can get.  I had to do this for my Healey which uses straight 40wt non detergent oil in the gearbox.  I used Aeroshell, whihc is an aviation oil and had to buy a case of it, but got the correct oil.  Btw, if you go with Aeroshell, their numbering is different than what the automotive industry uses; numbers are double.  Best to ask the distributor.  Aeroshell 80 is 40 wt non detergent.  Not sure if they make a 75wt oil or not.

Good luck,
Frank

Sent from my iPad