[TR] Yeah, I know, the Overdrive...Again....

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Mon Jul 24 06:57:58 MDT 2017

Recently I had occasion to work on a 1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass with GM's failed diesel engine. The starter was unresponsive and I traced it to the factory original solenoid. When I removed it's cover I discovered two sets of very heavy duty brass contacts whose purpose was to complete the electrical path through the coil so the relay could function. Interestingly the solenoid was using only one half of the set of dual contacts for the electrical connection to the starter. The way the relay was constructed allowed me to simply reverse,or switch the contact points themselves around so the active side of the solenoid relay now had two brand new contacts for the electrical path to the starter. Once the "good" contacts were in position the solenoid energized and the car instantly started.

Randall Reihing