[TR] Yeah, I know, the Overdrive...Again....

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 17:07:51 MDT 2017

> .  Are simple relays more or less bullet-proof, or do they have some sort of reputation I'm not aware of....????

When my original OD relay gave up the ghost, I went through several replacements in fairly short order, including an expensive repro from Moss. The problem I think is that the solenoid puts out a big inductive kick every time the contacts open, which causes a spark. The spark damages the contact surface and the relay contacts become erratic.

My solution was to add a small diode at the relay to absorb the kickback. That was roughly 20 years ago, and the super cheap relay I used is still working fine.

Almost any small power diode should do, I used a 1N4004. Check eBay, they should be only a few cents apiece after you pay S&H.
-- Randall