[TR] fender bolts

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 17 16:50:23 MDT 2017

>   Has anyone come up with a foolproof way to get fender bolts off without
> snapping them.

Mine is to remove them all first, chase all the threads (both male and
female), then reassemble with liberal amounts of copper-based anti-seize.
They'll never snap again!

Seriously, I don't think there is any 100% effective means.  Lots of things
you can try, but sometimes you just have to start cutting.  As someone
already mentioned, the nuts often spin in their cages for me; which can
sometimes be avoided by clamping "needle nose" vise grips onto the cages.

One of those cheap 4.5" angle grinders from HF, with an abrasive parting
tool, will cut through them pretty quick.  Just be careful to only cut where
you want; it's easy to let the blade touch something else and it seems to
always cut quicker where you don't want it to!

+1 on Kroil, but IMO PB Blaster is nearly as good and a lot more readily
available.  Works best if you give it a lot of time to penetrate, several
days or even weeks.

Mark Macy's web site has an interesting article on how to replace cages and
nuts without heat.  He sells the fully caged nuts individually, but if
you're going to be doing a lot, a box of 10 from MMC is cheaper per nut.

-- Randall