[TR] Trying to locate a gearbox top cover detent plug

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 22 23:59:31 MST 2017

> My Stag's box has the plug type. What are people using since even the
> threaded type is not available either.

With a bit of care in removing them, you can reuse the old ones.  I forget
the size offhand, but I found a tap that would grab the plug from the
inside.  Set a short spacer over it (large enough for the plug to fit
inside) then turned a nut down the tap to pull the plug into the spacer.

But last time around, I went ahead and made some duplicates of the earlier
plugs, and tapped the holes for them.  The hole is just the right size to
tap for a UNF thread (sorry, again I forget the size offhand), and you can
cut all 3 plugs from a single bolt.  I used a Dremel and abrasive cutoff
wheel to grind a screwdriver slot into the top.

-- Randall