[TR] TR3A rear hub inner seal

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Jan 15 15:56:44 MST 2017

First, a big, big thank you to Randall, Geo and the others who replied to my issue of having gear oil seeping (deluging) into the drivers rear brakes.  Spent the day having a great time in the (now heated!) garage pulling the axle shaft, cleaning everything up, and installing the new seals fresh from the freezer.  Only buggered up one of the 12 bolts total that had to come out.  Heat, lubricant, my bigger Vise Grips, and some choice anglo saxonisms later, out she come.  Trip to the hardware store for a fresh bolt and everything reinstalled simply, but with blue locktite instead of the capture tabs this time.

Did not know until I looked at videos on seal replacements (MGB, couldn't find TR's), that brakes have a leading edge that is supposed to be oriented toward the spin of the wheel.  Will fix that tomorrow.

Changed clothes and having that self-congratulatory cold one.  When this is done tomorrow, all that's left is wash and wax but can't do that til April.

What are people using for polish finishes anyway?

Thanks, again Randall and Geo!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A

By the way, if you don't enjoy messing with the mechanics of these cars, I'm not sure how you can actually have a daily drive as one and enjoy the experience.  Friend of mine bought an older Corvette for the cool factor, but spent all his money at the garage.  Was once left stranded because a disconnected wire to the fuel pump.  Ruined his day instead of making his day finding the problem and getting back on the road!

Did I say thanks to you two yet????