[TR] TR3 Tires

Bill Brewer billbrewer59 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 7 19:03:25 MST 2017

     Awhile back I posted to the list about tire availability for my TR3. It
looked like the choices were very expensive Michelins from Coker, Firestone
F560's, Vredesteins or Nankang CX-668 165/80R15 87T's. I ended up giving the
Nankangs a try. It is a little heresy to put Chinese tires on a Brit car,
but money is tight. This is what I found:

     The Nankangs were only $55 each.

     The ride on the freeway is excellent.

     The tires are very quiet.

     The tires feel a little "squishy" tearing around corners compared to
the Vred's I used to run, but I just tractor around anyway.

     The tread doesn't look like it should be on a British roadster, but who
looks at your tread?

     From the side, the tires look like any other. It was always cool to
have the "Made in Holland" on the side of the Vreds though.

     When driving down a grooved freeway, the treads grip the grooves and
the car "skates". It is very disconcerting.

     I drove on a very wet road and it was like driving on an ice skating
rink. Usually, I only drive the TR on warm dry days though.

     That's about it.

     I think that if I was going to do it again I would cough up the bucks
and go with the Vredesteins.

     FWIW,

     -Bill Brewer