[TR] Suggestions? TR3A Cockpit Trim Install

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:07:04 MST 2017

Looks familiar.

Those photos are from when I did mine about 17 years ago.  The jig & vise
gives you that 3rd hand you're looking for.

I had soaked the leather in hot water for an hour or so and also used a
heat gun to keep it warm and pliable as I worked.

I used spray on contact cement (3M 8090 as I recall) as that works fine
even if things are soaking wet.

Here's an interim photo as the stretching is just getting started:

[image: Inline image 1]

The board looks like a 1x4 but I know I used some shims to steady the piece
and a couple of nails to keep it in place.  You want it secure as you're
going to wrassle pretty hard to get it to take that compound curve.

Once you get as far as the last of Bob's photos you've got it licked and
can wait (and rest) until it partially dries before tucking it under.
Gores and darts will be needed to keep it from getting too thick and
bunched up on the inner/under side

[image: Inline image 2]

 Once it is pushed on the car body it will be so tightly clamped that the
glue is really redundant.

Geo