[TR] Valve guides

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Wed Feb 1 08:44:01 MST 2017

Hi, John

The Stag I drove across the US and Canada in 2009 had been fully rebuilt in
every way - especially the engine. To the best of my recollection, and as I
shipped out a lot of parts to the rebuild team from the UK, the guys at
Illinois Sports Owners Association who did the engine and rebuilt the whole
car to better than as new condition, used normal steel guides. The journey
itself with me at the wheel all the way was over 18,000 miles in 69 driving
days and apart from oil and filter changes every 4,000 miles, my fuel and
maintenance logbook shows I only put in three pints (a quart and a half?) of
engine oil throughout that trip and one new Facet fuel pump. AFAIK, the car
continues to be more than frugal in its lube needs with the current owner so
I can't really say that bronze guides with (presumably?) top end seals is
worth the extra expense. Modern lubricants are far in advance of what was
available in the seventies and there's plenty of proof - in the UK anyway -
that 100,000 plus miles is easily attainable in rebuilt Stag and other
Standard-Triumph engines using the original spec components. Save your money
and put your savings towards a Bell stainless steel exhaust system - among
many other things.

Good luck

Jonmac