[TR] Happy New Year and a change of focus

jimmuller at rcn.com jimmuller at rcn.com
Sat Dec 30 13:09:51 MST 2017

Friends, it has been quite a while since I last wrote anything to these lists.  Those of you from
the early days will recognize my name, possibly most of you won't at all.  I took over the
british-cars email list from Ovr Fovnder Dale Cook, ran it for a few years, then handed it over
to Ovr Gviding Sovl Mark, a.k.a. mjb.

I have owned a Spitfire since about 1985 (I think) and a GT6 since I have no idea when but
probably after 1995.  Both were drivers, not show-winners, though the GT6 did win a
1st-in-class award at a CCBCC event and the Spitfire took 2nd-in-class in the autocross at
the VTR national convention in Albany (1989?).  It felt like such an adventure at the time for
my sweetie and me to head out to such a far away destination in the Spitfire.  I maintained
them as best I could, even rebuilt the GT6 gearbox twice all by my li'l ol' self with hand tools
and a small floor jack in my tiny garage.  They served me well for fun, commuting, British-car
outings, and even camping vacations.  For various reasons I have not been driving either
lately, and no longer have the time to maintain them.  And at 69 y.o. I am not as enthusiastic
as I once was about bending over them in 95deg weather getting nauseous from gas fumes.
More to the point, neither is as roadworthy as they once were.  The Spitfire's floor, valence,
and rocker panels are badly rusted and I doubt it will pass inspection that way.  The GT6's
body is in great shape as are most of the mechanicals, but I think the #1 exhaust valve is
burned and I don't have the time to pull the head myself.

All this leads to the conclusion that it is time to move on.  The question is what to do with
them.  I could sell them on Craig's List perhaps but my conscience is bothered by the thought
of someone driving the Spitfire and falling through the floor onto the road.  I could simply
scrap them but my conscience is bothered by the thought that maybe someone could use
various parts, either from the cars or from the bins of junk parts collected by the previous
owner who built up the GT6.  The last time I drove the Spitfire, a hot summer day, I took it
across town a few miles to evaluate it for restoration but it wouldn't start for the return so I
had to have it towed home.  I had cleared and reset the choke mechanism, replaced the carb
jet, verified the fuel pump.  I checked them again and found no problem but maybe this time
it had a clogged fuel line.  I've been afraid to drive it since then.  The frame was good, though
it had dinged hood-mount extensions from before I bought it so true "restoration" would
require skilled labor.  The top, toneau, and cover for the stowed top are useable though not
excellent.  It has alloy wheels someone might want.  The GT6 is in good shape except for the
carpeting and seat cushions.  It has Cosmic II wheels from a Lotus Europa, rather scarce.
The point is, someone with the desire, time, tools, and space could make good use of them
or parts of them.  With sufficient funds either or both could be made like new.

I'm looking for recommendations for what to do next.  Do you know of any British-car salvage
or used-parts place in the Boston area?  I am sadly out of touch.

Thanks,
Jim

---