[TR] Can I use jb weld to fix an aluminum bracket to an aluminumgrill.

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Dec 14 01:49:10 MST 2017

> Subject: [TR] Can I use jb weld to fix an aluminum bracket to an
> aluminumgrill.
>
> I tried another brand of epoxy. But it gave way.   Sujit

Depends on how much strength you need, and how much surface area the joint
will have.  In spite of their advertising copy, JB Weld isn't even as strong
as a strong plastic.

If you're talking about a joint that broke when it was solid aluminum; then
I'd say you haven't a prayer unless you can add substantial reinforcement.
For example, perhaps you can add a layer of fiberglass cloth on both sides,
overlapping by 1/2" or more on each side of the joint, and glued to the
metal with JB Weld.

Proper prep is essential too, the surfaces must have absolutely no paint,
silicone, wax or oil on them.  Use the 24 hour version (not the 5 minute
stuff) and follow the instructions exactly on temperature, etc.

-- Randall