[TR] Cheers!

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 06:32:24 MDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 1:59 AM, Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> Small wonder that our field service people would usually key in patches by
> hand through the front panel, and just dump memory to tape to create a new
> load tape.

My first computing experience was in 1973 with an IBM System 370 at
college.  I had to keypunch the cards to write a program, then turn in the
deck at the window to have it run, and wait for my output at another window
(Hey, maybe that's where the other Windows comes from?)

I soon gained a TSO (Time Sharing Option) account, where I quickly learned
I could type my program at the console and get immediate results
("immediate" in 1970s terms).  But the best part was that I could, once the
program ran properly, get the system to punch a deck of cards
automatically, saving me the time and expense of doing it myself.  I did
have tuo run the deck through a keypunch machine to get the text printed
across the top, though...

Ah, a lovely day to drive down Memory Lane with the top down...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.