[TR] Spitfire head gasket

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Mon Apr 3 17:46:29 MDT 2017

The shop did the head rebuild and install both times, so I am not sure
if they followed the correct procedures. It has AARP studs. They were
new when they rebuilt the head the first time and have not been replaced.

The first time they rebuilt the head, the head gasket blew at 800
miles.  (It had been retorqued).  I replaced the head gasket that time
as I didn't want to wait to get it in.  I used a better head gasket,
discovered the timing was way too far advanced, I figured that was why
the head gasket blew.  I followed the manual for tightening specs and
order.   Actually I used the AARP specs for tightening, I think they
were a bit higher than the manual.

Then one of the valves froze at 2000 miles after the head rebuild - 1200
after I replace the head gasket.  Head had been retorqued. This is when
they said nothing they did caused the valve to stick.  They added an
external oil feed  as they said it was not getting lubrication, plus new
valves, seats and guides.

When I checked the block it seemed good, but I was doing around the head
studs.

Oh, when I got it home and started looking at it, 2 valves were less
than .004, the rest were one each .005 through .010.

Just looked back at the head gasket.  It doesn't look so good. It has
holes around the sealing ring.

Roger