[TR] Fwd: TR3 choke

David Griffiths daveg at online.no
Mon Sep 26 11:54:45 MDT 2016

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: George Richardson <gpr at key-men.com>
> Subject: [TR] TR3 choke
> Date: 26 September 2016 at 17:28:10 GMT+2
> To: Triumphs <triumphs at autox.team.net>
>
> Just looking at my choke mechanism. I always thought that the arms that withdraw the jet assembly on my car were worn, as the holes that they pivot on are way oversize. Buy I just looked at another assembly I had lying around and that one also has oversize holes.
>
> Are they supposed to be like that? It doesn't seem like the choke works very well.

Mine are the same. The choke cable pulls on the front jet lever of course. If you adjust the jet connecting rod assembly so that it is hard against the front edge of the jet lever hole for the front jet, and the rear edge of the jet lever hole of the rear jet, then there should not be any slack and both should work together. But yeah, there are some big holes in the jet levers. The other thing that seems a bit nuts is the cable clamp pin that the choke cable attaches to. It sticks way out and twists a bit before the jet levers start to move. So the initial part of the choke cable movement has to take up the slack in that before the actual jets start to move down. The nut for jamming the choke cable in that pin - you have nothing to hold it - no hex surface for a spanner, at least on mine, so adjusting the choke cable is not easy. But just put a wider-than-normal clothes peg under the choke button and problem solved!

Dave