[TR] The Same Car for 82 Years

John Macartney john.macartney at ukpips.org.uk
Fri Sep 23 08:53:40 MDT 2016

For the record, I've still got my late Father's 14 inch ATCO cylinder
lawnmower he bought new in 1939. For some strange reason, while it is
superbly made with roller bearings wherever you look and the 49cc two stroke
engine will still start with gentle and considerate persuasion, it was never
fitted at the factory with a speedometer! Even so, and after many
calculations of the lawns it has cut at the three homes where Dad lived
(once a week, every week, over the same piece of grass in both directions
and from 1939 to 1975), I reckon it must have done somewhere in the region
of 6000 miles (maybe more?) - and still on the original clutch! :)

Jonmac

---