[TR] Out of the Box

William Smith smithw1 at optonline.net
Sun Sep 11 13:03:27 MDT 2016

John, you really shouldn't need a hoist to pull the tranny out of a TR6  , but you should have a helper - particularly a young,  strong one. The transmission is really not that heavy.  Unless you have a really bad back, you should be able to lift it yourself. I helped a friend pull and replace his after replacing his throughout bearing. Once the interior is out,  you can climb inside the car and get a good grip on it from above. The two most tedious things were removing the interior (including dash support) and lining everything up when reinstalling it. Just try to get the car up high enough to get under it to make the disconnect and reinstallation line-up easier.

Bill Smith
'72 TR6
'80 TR7