[TR] New Alternator - Stag

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Thu Sep 8 09:46:30 MDT 2016

http://factually.gizmodo.com/butt-is-an-actual-unit-of-measurement-1622427091

the man speaks the truth

From: Dave
Sent: Thursday, September 8, 2016 6:59 AM
To: mdporter at dfn.com ; triumphs at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] New Alternator - Stag

Indeed.  Many years ago when I was working in HVAC I was trying to calculate air flow temperature changes based on a coil rated at some value (eg: 22 MBTU/Hr) and my calculations kept coming out way out of the realm of reality.  By a factor of 1000.  Then I realized that the "M" stood for Mille (1000 in Latin).  Remember the Mille Miglia is a race of 1000 miles, not 1,000,000 miles.  I think that by the end of a million mile race all the spectators will have gone home.

So when does "M" mean 1,000 and when does it mean 1,000,000?  The answer to that is the same as it is to most of life's questions: "It depends."  For example, how big is a barrel?  Answer: It depends.  A barrel of beer is 31 gallons.  In the US.  In Brittan it is 43 gallons (US).  But most fluid barrels are half a hogshead (31.5 US gallons).  And a barrel of oil is 42 US gallons.

Context is everything.

BTW, how much is a buttload?  Two hogsheads.  Look it up.

Dave Massey