[TR] New Alternator - Stag

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 6 22:19:27 MDT 2016

> 1. I don't have the insulating plug so my wire connectors go directly to
> the blades on the unit. I've used #10 wire, which worked fine on the old
> Lucas 18ACR. Now, however, that wire gets very hot, and think it might be
> good idea to put a fuse in that run, which goes directly from alternator
> to starter. I suppose the higher amperage requires a heavier wire.

Definitely.  8 AWG at least.  Also make sure you use solder on the
terminals.

A fuse I'm not so sure about.  If it opens up, you'll probably damage the
alternator.  A fusible link might be better.

> 2. The new unit makes a loud  unacceptable whistle when running up to 3M
> RPMs or so. I've tired different belt tensions to no effect.  Can I expect
> this to dissipate with usage?

I doubt it.  Check carefully for clearance on all sides of the fan.  Last
time I had a noise like that, the blade was just kissing the corner of one
of the mounting bolts.

Randall