[TR] New Alternator - Stag

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 08:12:16 MDT 2016

I just swapped in an new Delco style 71273 unit. It fits easily on the LH
side and actually provides more belt adjustment room. Two problems, however:

1. I don't have the insulating plug so my wire connectors go directly to
the blades on the unit. I've used #10 wire, which worked fine on the old
Lucas 18ACR. Now, however, that wire gets very hot, and think it might be
good idea to put a fuse in that run, which goes directly from alternator to
starter. I suppose the higher amperage requires a heavier wire.

2. The new unit makes a loud  unacceptable whistle when running up to 3M
RPMs or so. I've tired different belt tensions to no effect.  Can I expect
this to dissipate with usage?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

John Howard