[TR] Electronic ignition question

Wbeech@flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Wed Oct 26 07:49:29 MDT 2016

A friend in our British car club, (not enough TRs in town to be exclusive), is having timing issues after replacing the module in his distributor.   While this is a 1970 E-Type I offered to pass his question on to the brilliant minds of this TR list.
Bill B

Bill – following is the tech support request I read to you on the phone.  Thanks
“The Mallory Elec Dist replaced the orig Lucas factory unit - in 2009. Engine ran well - no problems until recently when engine just sputtered and quit! Investigated ignition and determined the module was bad. Replaced it with "ACCEL Module PN2005". Now, at least the engine will start but runs horribly! Seemed to be badly out of time. Checked timing with light and appears to be nearly 30 deg retarded. Thought the pinch-bolt on base of distributor may have allowed the distributor to drift (rotate) - until I tried loosening bolts and found I could not move it - so my point here, is that if it's out of time it's been that way a while or perhaps the module could not be the correct one for this distributor.  Your thoughts?  “