[TR] tr3 generator woes

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 8 13:10:55 MDT 2016

ah hathanks

      From: Randall <TR3driver at ca.rr.com>
 To: 'Frank Fisher' <yellowtr3 at yahoo.com>; 'Triumphs List' <triumphs at autox.team.net>
 Sent: Friday, October 7, 2016 7:19 PM
 Subject: RE: [TR] tr3 generator woes

Just a thought:

Last year my original control box started acting flakey during a drive.
After some investigation, I learned that the grounds for the two shunt coils
(one per relay) weren't making good contact.  The wire is soldered to a
brass sleeve that slips over the bolt through the center of the coil.  But
if the sleeve doesn't make good electrical contact to the bolt, the
associated function won't work right.

For the cutout, that means not pulling in as it should (red light stays on).

For the regulator, that means the current and/or voltage can go very high.

Might be your friend's problem.

I added a ground wire to ensure a good connection, but likely just cleaning
up the sleeve and reassembling would work for a long time.

I also checked several control boxes from the junk bin, and most of them had
the same problem.

-- Randall