[TR] tr3 generator woes

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 13:46:18 MDT 2016

i have become friends with a guy on my way home from work.he has been re-building his TR3 for about a year now.
the previous owner of the car had an in line fuse immediately the yellow wire came off the generator.so the buddy new owner left it there thinking it was factory. (yes he has a new wiring harness)he asked me what size fuse. i guessed at 35 amp US spec fuse.
so a week ago he was able to drive the car for the first time. just the gas station and back. 3 or 4 miles.
he emailed me and said the fuse blew. i stopped by his house last night and we replaced the fuse and started the car.
at idle the amp meter read that the generator was pushing 15 amps back (+)when we revved the motor the needle went off the chart, ie greater than 30 amps. now i would have thought the amp meter was bad except for it having blown the 35 amp fuse.
i know its usual for the generator to push energy back to the battery after start up to replenish what was used in starting the car. then it gets controlled by the control box in an as needed deal.
i didn't think the tr3 generator was capable of putting out 35 amps? i guess im wrong?
i have not observed the car running for more that 5 mins or so to see if the control box cuts off the flow of energy back to the battery.i scared to cook the battery.volts are around 13.5
the control box is of unknown origin and potentially suspect,battery is brand new
first thing is to get the in line fuse out.
how long is it usually before the control box cuts out the heavy return of energy?
frank