[TR] Pesky exhaust leak

Brian Thomas thomasb at queensu.ca
Wed Nov 30 14:14:05 MST 2016

Hi Dave,

Our 67 TR4A has a similar stainless exhaust system purchased about 1995 from TRF.    Various attempts to solve leakage problems over the years included re-doing the weld around the single pipe that enters the front muffler and applying muffler cement around the joints of the two exit pipes.  Neither fix lasted very long and then I realized the system had a lifetime guarantee.  Talked to TRF and they took it back and replaced it.  No problems since!

Interestingly, when I took the muffler off,  the problem became obvious as the weld on the front pipe did not go all the way around and a hole existed at the top.  I suspect the fixes were done with the muffler in place so the problem was less than obvious.

Here's a pic showing the incomplete weld and hole:

  [cid:image003.jpg at 01D24B20.D16DB3F0]

Cheers,

Brian
   Brian Thomas                           E-mail:   ThomasB at QueensU.Ca<mailto:ThomasB at QueensU.Ca>
   92 Wyona Lane, R R 1              Phone:   613-385-1947
   Wolfe Island,  Ontario                Toys:   54 TR2,  56 TR3,  67 TR4A,  01 XKR,
   CANADA   K0H 2Y0                                 75 John Deere 920