[TR] Spigot (pilot bush) Question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Nov 28 21:27:10 MST 2016

> Certainly haven't done enough for it to be a scientific study, but
> interesting how experiences differ.

Mine have been the same as Geo's.  Old and new are always loose in the
crank.  And I've never seen any signs of wear or overheating on any of the
components.  I usually change the bush anyway, just because.

The crank bore is polished and that bushing gets so little use over the life
of the engine that I can't imagine it makes any difference.

Although, come to think of it, I learned to not hold the clutch down at stop
lights.  Might have something to do with it.

Might also depend on just which 4 cylinder TR engine we're talking about <g>
I've not had any experience at all with the TR7 motor.

BTW, another method for removing a tight bushing (which I often use
elsewhere) is to turn a suitable size tap into it.  Once the tap bottoms in
the bore, it will walk the bushing out.  Works real well on starter and
generator end plates.

-- Randall