[TR] Threads and Bolts

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Nov 24 11:51:09 MST 2016

Bolts with no slashes are grade two.  The grade of the bolt is indicated by the number of slashes plus two.  I do not recommend grade two for suspension duty.

I've heard said that the trade-off with Grade 8 bolts is that they are stronger but more brittle.  Since I am not a mechanical engineer I cannot make a recommendation on substituting a grade 8 for a grade 5 but I would be concerned that the increased brittle nature may be a detriment. Considering the seriousness of the consequences of a suspension failure I would think again about making substitutions.  And just about anything you need is available next business day from McMaster Carr (and other sources, certainly).  But you may have to buy more than you need and pay shipping.

I don't think fine thread vs coarse thread makes much difference.

Just my opinion.

Dave Massey