[TR] Torque using crow's foot adapter

Tom Note tom628 at verizon.net
Thu May 19 21:45:10 MDT 2016

Hi All:  I installed a new U-joint at the driveshaft- trans junction and
intended to torque it to the book value. However, i have not been able to
find a way to get a conventonal socket of any size in on either the bolts or
the nuts.  I have a set of "crows foot" adapters which I used (for the first
time), and torqued the nuts to the mid-point of the spec, range. I kept the
open end  in line with the axis of the torque wrench, and it only adds an
inch or so to the OAL of the wrench, Is there a correction factor that
should be applied in figuring the the torque that shoiuld be applid with the
wrench to get the true torque at the bolt or nut?  Also, it would appear
that these adapters only work when in line with the wrench axis, right?

Thanks,
Tom