[TR] J vs D Type Overdrives

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Mon May 9 09:28:13 MDT 2016

I don't think that I would worry too much about the differences in the
types as far as strength is concerned.  For a GT6, even modified, they are
plenty strong.  The tranny will fail long before the overdrive does.  The
D-type is 40s/50s technology, while the J type is 70's and should have
improvements over the older models.  They use a slightly beefed-up version
of the J-type in motor homes and Hot rods from a company here in El Cajon
that still makes and modifies the J types.  If they can stand the 500+Hp of
a rat rod, and the drive-line loads of a motor home, they should be fine in
any TR. The other concern is that the J type will probably have a larger
supply of parts and is, I believe, a little more compact than the earlier
ones.  I used the J-Type simply because my GT6 didn't originally come with
an overdrive, and I found a really nice J-type spitfire tranny in a U-pull
it junk yard around here (many years ago)for $75.  The overdrive from it
has been in my GT since then.  The real problem is finding an original type
shift lever for the GT6 single rail overdrive tranny.  It's not quite the
same as the Spitfire (its slightly shorter and stubbier and I ended up
making one myself).  Even one for a Spitfire is not all that easy to find
but will work.

Yeah, I know, I'm supposed to have a stalk mounted switch, but I really
don't care for the look and operation of the old stalk mounted switches,
and prefer the more "James bond" type switch in the shift lever!

Original email: