[TR] Future Collector Cars?

William Brewer billbrewer59 at yahoo.com
Tue May 3 11:15:44 MDT 2016

     We've all reflected back on cars we coulda/woulda/shoulda bought. I test drove a powder blue 63 XKE OTS for $2750 in 1978. I looked at a clean Maserati 3500 for $6000 in the same year. I saw an Aston Martin DB5 for $8500 in about 1980. About 5 years ago Ferrari 308's were only around $30,000. Early 911s and 356s, forgetaboutit! I looked at a Lotus Elise for $17,500 and I turned down a beautiful 1989 Lotus Esprit turbo for $9500 in 2008. The list goes on and on. It kills me.     About 5 years ago I was looking at a Ferrari Testarossa in Beverly Hills for under $50K. The same car today would bring in the mid $100K range somewhere.
     I continually ask myself what is next the on the list for appreciation? I've thought about Miata BRG special additions, but they are just too numerous and not really distinguishable from other Miatas. Maybe early 90's Corvette ZR1s with the Lotus designed 4 came alloy engines. Some early Datsuns that were Italian designed look interesting, but I wasn't ever interested in them back in the day. I have been watching Lotus Elan +2's go up in value as well as the water cooled Porsches and 914's.     I think that a guy can still find an Alfa GTV or Duetto for an okay price. More than you would want to pay, but cheaper than they will cost here shortly.     TR4 and 6's have appreciated nicely in recent years. They may have topped out for now.
     Anyone else out there have predictions on the next wave?
     Bill Brewer     Tehachapi, CA