[TR] TR6 brake master cylinder

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 27 19:37:21 MDT 2016

> Tell me about the Silicone fluid.  I've been using the
> Castrol LMA exclusively.  Is the Silicone OK with all seals?
> Sounds like it is if you guys are all using it successfully.

We've had a lot of sometimes heated debate over DOT 5 over the years.  Some hate it and would never use it; others love it and
wouldn't consider anything else.  I'm in the latter camp.  There is a good article at
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/Fluid/Fluid.htm
that goes over the whys & wherefores, as well as debunking a few myths.  That article mentions some papers that were presented to
the SAE, which you can find at
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2H2NJt34OffdnhWS19scjlNUU0&usp=sharing

In the 30 years or so that I've been using it, I have had a few problems that might possibly have been related to the DOT 5.  It
does seem that when seals & hoses fail with DOT 5, they often get soft and gooey instead of hard and brittle (as they do with DOT
3/4).  But overall, I have had far fewer hydraulic problems using it than I ever had when using DOT 3/4.  Just one example, the TR3A
brake calipers that I rebuilt when converting my previous TR3A (roughly 1986) are still working fine today on my current TR3.

Hard to find in stores, but TRF carries it for about the best price I've found.  And unlike the other brake fluids, it keeps forever
in a previously opened container.  None of this getting old sitting on the shelf stuff.

Randall