[TR] TR6 brake master cylinder

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Sun Mar 27 18:27:36 MDT 2016

I actually spoke to a moss employee about that a few years ago.  he said the
reason that moss discourages the use of silicone fluid is liability.  if you
just start adding silicone fluid to your dot 3/4 brake system, bad things
will happen.  they don't want that.  if you switch, you need to fully drain
and flush the system.

I, too, have been using silicone (dot 5) in my cars for over a decade.
never a problem due to the silicone.

the arguments, at least for me, are pretty simple.

dot 4/5 eats paint, absorbs water (that's hygroscopic, NOT hydroscopic), and
must be bled annually.  and when you bleed it, you better be careful about
the paint in the wheel wells!

dot 5 doesn't.   it is slippery and messy, so yes, you should catch it with
a tube as well.

if you are painting a car, or some part, be very very careful about
silicone, even being in the air.  it will cause orange peel.

the pedal feel with dot 4/5 is a little firmer.

want better stopping - get better brake pads.  I got really aggressive pads
on my TR6 and noticed a huge difference.  still silicone.