[TR] Workbench rebuild

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Sun Mar 20 15:00:57 MDT 2016

I'd say "it depends" - on what you intend to use this workbench for.

For a general purpose bench, my favorite design so far is based on a 2x4
or 2x6 frame, with plywood or butcher block over the top (depending on
price and availability: 5/8", 2 sheets of 1/2", 1") topped with MDF
("Masonite"). The plywood is screwed to the frame and the MDF is glued
down. For bonus points, trim the edges with MDF, too. Let the top
overhang by an inch or two for clamping.

MDF is a very forgiving surface: it absorbs oil and moisture, it won't
damage parts when you drop them, it doesn't gouge very badly. And you
can sand it down once or twice and then pry it off and replace it.

I have used galvanized steel (from an HVAC fitter) for counter tops. It
has its place, but it can be hard on tools and parts that interact with it.

Plate steel can't be beat for a welding bench, but I wouldn't want to do
generalized work on it.

I usually attach the bench to the garage framing studs with lag bolts,
ideally in a corner. That makes it super stable - use a 4x4 or larger on
the "free" end and mount your vise there.