[TR] OD Transmission and Reverse Gear

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Mar 18 15:50:03 MDT 2016

Have a newly rebuilt Overdrive Type A by John Esposito, so trust it's totally sound.

When I flip the OD switch, engine off, key on, and tranny in second, I hear an OD click at both "on" and "off."  So it seems the solenoid is actuating and de-actuating.

Yet driving to work, it went into OD, but switching off would not release OD.  Then, in reverse, the car won't go backwards but binds.

I assumed that John would have adjusted the solenoid, but is that the likely culprit?  Even shutting the power off doesn't release the power.

I've disassembled the OD switch and refreshed it so the contacts work properly, but perhaps this is the problem, but again, I hear the OD click at on and off.

Thoughts?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667
New Hampshire where it was 53 degrees today, but a Nor'Easter heading our way Sunday.  Yeesh!  Only in New England!