[TR] Stag Rear End Squat

StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org
Thu Mar 10 10:06:15 MST 2016

Hi John,

My apologies for the delay.

You mention this project was in boxes?  Was the suspension also in boxes or was it a rolling chassis?

Excessive rear camber, in my experience, is almost always due to elongation of the subframe bolt holes supporting the differential.

This allows the subframe arms to lower, in turn taking the trailing arms to sag toward the center of the chassis, and in turn the camber becomes excessive.

The only lateral hold of the subframe bolts is a bit of bent sheet steel that cannot support the bolt weight.

I have photos somewhere of repairs to the subframe inner bolt holes where I applied a repair using heavy wall pipe with an ID that matched the OD of the Subframe bolts.

I drilled out the subframe holes using a unibit in a drill press to fit the OD of the pipe, cut pipe pieces to fit to the outside edge of the subframe metal and welded them in place.  Then I suitably ground,  painted and rustproofed the upgrade repair.

Alternatively it might be weak coil springs, however that can be temporarily corrected by adding a machined spacer or thicker rubber insulators under the spring.

First check however would be the subframe bolt holes.  You can jack the car and look to see of the differential plate to subframe arms has shifted, a tell-tale sign of elongation of the bolt holes.

Cheers!

Glenn Merrell

aka StagByTriumph Garage (now on FaceBook)

Remember, “the BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen … with the occasional smell of manure!”