[TR] TR250 handling question

StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org StagByTriumph at triumphstagclub.org
Thu Jun 30 15:22:23 MDT 2016

I am going to side with Massey on this one, because, he is almost correct.

For confirmation, go check any site recommending alignments for road track / autocross  racing.

Here is one - http://winhpde.com/track-alignment/

And  another http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

(Ted Schumacher, you and pipe in any time here …)

Most of us want our Triumphs tuned like we are driving on a road  course race track.

The handling description described  is similar to driving on a road of ball bearings or ice?

That is oversteer from too much negative camber or too much toe, or both, and with full independent suspension, this becomes more critical for optimum handling because all four wheels must be properly adjusted for correct handling.

Tire size will directly affect the camber condition if the tire is wider or narrower than OE, the camber will be directly affected.  Alignment specifications are set for OE standard tires, which are not available o for most of our LBC’s these days.

Unless there are bad suspension components or misadjusted wheel bearings,  the handling condition is completely indicative  of incorrect alignment.

I had a local alignment guy who did alignments for Rocky Mountain Vintage Racers, and he could set up 4 wheel alignment to handle any way the driver wanted – understeer – oversteer – neutral.

Depending on the type of suspension, each setup by suspension type is different.

TR250’s have full IRS, so rear toe / camber is just as important as the front.

Front toe in adds to the eagerness of the turn, rear toe in adds to the quickness to rotate into a turn.

Camber affects how the tire contacts the road surface.  Too much negative camber and you product oversteer.

Combine with incorrect toe in and negative camber and the car feels like it is on ice or ball bearings

My Stags were like that, so was my TR250.  The Stag uses Struts, the TR250 uses A Arms.  I had my guy set the camber and toe front and rear at the edge of the specs between neutral and oversteer handling, and they now ride like they are on rails, solid as a rock, yet responsive and predictive.

Glenn Merrell

+1 (303) 817-8559 mobile

aka StagByTriumph Garage (now on FaceBook)

Remember, “the BEST trophies are: Miles on the Odometer; Stone chips in the paint; and DEAD BUGS on the windscreen … with the occasional smell of manure!”