[TR] Duh

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 31 21:27:31 MDT 2016

> The BIG question:  How much should it cost to replace
> the $59.00 fork or the stupid pin, knowing that the transmission
> has to come out and go back in?

FWIW, the TR3 flat rate manual gives 4.5 hours to R&R the gearbox, plus an
hour for the clutch once the gearbox is out (5.5 total).  TR6 should be
similar; although a TR3 doesn't have the dash support to remove, it also has
more bolts holding the seats in.  Say another hour for the dash support and
dealing with that pesky pin (I drilled the fork & shaft for an additional
1/4" grade 8 bolt to reinforce the pin).

IIRC my favorite mechanic charges $80/hr, so call it $520 for labor, plus
parts, tax, etc.  He will no doubt want to replace the clutch friction
plate, pressure plate & TOB but I would (did) put them back if they look OK.

Or hire a local teenager with a strong back and weak mind for $20/hr and do
it yourself.  The heavy lifting portion only takes a few minutes.  You might
even have some friends who would help for a few beers.

Randall