[TR] Problem solved - not totally sure how

ptegler ptegler at verizon.net
Sun Jul 24 09:15:13 MDT 2016

????

This 'engagement' is the same as the synchros on the gears. If the fit
is not perfectly concentric it will not hold.
Plain and simple one of the two were out of round , so you only had
partial engagement or 'grab' of the 'brake pad' material which makes
perfect sense that it would slip under load.  The only 'oil' issues to
watch is using 'the stinky' gear oil that will eat the brass synchros
and thust washers.  30wt HD non-detergent motor oil or 80-90wt Hypoy
gear oil should be used (depending on who rebuilt your o/d and how they
set the pressure relief valve)   Even 'limited slip' oil modifiers
should not be an issue with the o/d engagement. That will only effect
the speed at which the synchros will grab the gears during shifting.
Anything that will effect the o/d cone clutch and brake ring engagement
issue will also show up as 'shreads' of ' horse hair' in your o/d filter
as the brake pad material falls apart. That usually only shows up as a
result of over heating of the material due to low oil levels and
slipping/slow engagement.

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler ptegler at verizon.net www.teglerizer.com